A study published online May 23 in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism examined data from 9033 community-dwelling men and women participating in the Canadian Multicenter Osteoporosis Study. They found that in women a total calcium intake of about 1,000 mg/day was associated with lower all-cause mortality. It didn't matter whether the calcium came from food or supplements. In men this association was not found. The study may have been underpowered and therefore not found an association with men. This study is in contrast to some recent studies that found calcium associated with higher mortality, although again, mainly in men. I feel that it is safe to recommend women, especially those at risk for osteoporosis, take calcium/magnesium supplements with vitamin D3 and K2. If they are consuming a varied diet containing calcium rich foods, then I generally recommend about 500-600 mg calcium in a mixed supplement. I vary the amount I recommend based on their diet and risk factors.
Please visit my website at www.drjessicaseaton.com
No comments:
Post a Comment