Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sitting and Diabetes

This is one of many studies that I've posted today on the evils of prolonged sitting. Of course I've been sitting as I've been writing these posts. A study done at the University of Leicester showed that women, but strangely enough not men, who are sedentary for most of the day are at greater risk of having metabolic changes related to inflammation and Type 2 diabetes. The researchers looked at over 500 men and women over the age of 40, evaluated their sedentary time, and then looked at their insulin levels, C-reactive protein, leptin, and interleukin-6 levels. All of these are markers for inflammation. The authors concluded that even meeting the general accepted requirement of 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise is not enough to prevent these inflammatory changes. This study was published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment